Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:38:44 +0100
From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Alexis asks:

>Could you also tell me if Svetlanov is a good conductor?

This depends on what We mean with *good conductor*.  I have heard him
conduct atleast 20 concerts with the Swedish Radio symphony with whom He
is 'Kapellmeister' since 1996 and thrugh the remaning of this year (He
will succeded by the young Austrian conductor Manfred Honeck).  As well as
numerous recordings with the Sovjet/Russian orchestras he has worked with.

My take on Svetlanov is that he is a highly qualified tradesman, with an
affinity to romantic music.  Of the concerts I have heard I fear I have
to say that on the average, his interpretations have been good, but not
ecceptional.  On the moments wen He has lifted himself beyond what is
expected of a runthrugh, has been wen He has given birth to new music, and
acctully we he conducted his own first symphony (or was it the second?),
wen You acctually could feel that he enjoyed himself.  (This symphony is a
grandscale, neoromantic symphony, He wrote in the fifties) --- I cant say
that it tuched me on a musical plane, but it was intresting to hear.

To sum up; Yes Svetlanov is a good conductor, but he has a tendency to
let rutine rule his musicianship.

Cheers

Peter Lundin