Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:16:11 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Ralph D. White wrote:

>The Boult on Everest is my first choice for the Vaughan Williams, and
>certainly Bloch's own recording, with Marko Rothmuller as the cantor, is my
>choice for the Avodath Hakodesh.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you if either
>has been issued on CD.  Both were mono only, but definitive performances.
>I do not believe there was ever an Abravanel recording.

As far as I know, the following recordings have appeared commercially:

1.  Bloch
2.  Bernstein
3.  Abravanel
4.  Simon

For me, the only one worth getting is Bernstein's, even though he
disregards Bloch's preference and uses a speaking part throughout for
the cantor in the final sections.  I find all the other performances
weak-kneed, including Bloch's own.

Steve Schwartz