Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:04:07 -0600
From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
For several years KFUO-FM, the leading (and sometimes the only) classical
radio station in St. Louis used a large amount of programming from a
service called Parkway.  They acted as if almost all the music in the world
was performed by the London Symphony, the English Chamber Orchestra, and
the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.  Fine ensembles though they are,
this programming came off as monotonous and unimaginative.

I did not start listening to them not liking Neville Marriner.
Through their programming KFUO/Parkway exposed me to a surfeit of his
recordings--there is no shortage of information behind his lack of appeal
to me.  It is a rare occasion (Handel's "Messiah" is the only one I can
think of offhand) when I find a Marriner recording preferable to another,
and I've heard plenty of them.  He usually comes of as competent but not
exciting.  I would be quite surprised if there is any performer of whom
this list unanimously approves, and the mainstays of the airwaves are no
exceptions.

Aaron J. Rabushka