Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:06:35 -0500
Lena writes about
, full term girl (8lb 10oz) --  some hours after birth baby had still not
latched on well
 -mommy reported a fussy, reluctant feeder
- did not pass stools for days and only pee'd a few times a day.
- day 8.  skinny arms, big belly, hungry eyes, lethargic weighed 7-0.
  very poor latch on.  cried at mom's breast and would not latch
- pumping (got a whopping 3 cc),

Now baby is finger feeding very well, -still has a persistent tongue
thrust.   mom's milk supply is increasing, but baby will still not take the
breast.

Lots & lots of red flags here....

How old is baby now?
Will baby "suck" on a finger while finger feeding?

I would wait on passing judgement on neuro difficulties until:
1. Baby is "caught up" on where weight should reasonably be...
2. Mom has very good milk supply...

I've seen babies that don't seem to catch on until they "catch up" from
their "failure to thrive"   type of start weight - wise, and I've also seen
babies that seem to have no patience unless the milk is just flowing out of
the breast...  have used sns type set up to "convince them that they are at
the right place to eat"  - otherwise they push away the breast, fuss and
cry like they don't recognize that the breast is where they go to get food
(and comfort)

The moms feel very hopeless and unliked by their baby and I think this
contributes to  the stress and the move away from  the breast. [no one
likes to be rejected ervery 3 hours around the  clock.]

Gail
Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC
Pediatric Resident
author of the little green breastfeeding book - disclaimer: owner of Pocket
Publications