From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:02:43 -0400
Gilbert Chang wrote:

>. . .  all are of Jewish descent.  WHY? Is
>violin playing closely related with the Jewish culture? Also, are there
>many great Jewish pianists (or other instrumentalists) and conductors?

Well, as I see it, there are basically two possible explanations.  One is
that there is some sort of musical genes which have been inherited within
the Jewish community.  I shudder at what lies ahead if we go down that
road, and in any case I think it is a very dubious theory, scientifically
speaking.

The other explanation is that that people in particular culture (especially
in Central Europe) nourished musical talent to a particular degree.  Why?
I will have to leave that question to those who know more about that
culture than I do.  And yes, obviously, there have been, and are, many
great Jewish performers on other instruments, as well as conductors and
composers.  But then, there have obviously been many equally great gentile
musicians, too.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]