From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:54:47 +0000
Glenn Miller  wrote:

>OK--here goes.  I was wondering what the list members felt was the one
>composer they would like to have seen lived longer.

First thought: Mahler.
Second thought: No, that's too obvious
Third thought: Maybe Beethoven, but his deafness complicates things.
Fourth thought: Mahler again. What we have of the tenth shows his powers to
have been still growing, and he died with plenty of potential composing
years ahead of him, and moving into a time of profound change in music and
many other respects. And there were so many areas of music that he never
explored at all.
Fifth thought: It has to be Mahler.

Ian Crisp