From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:32:11 -0700
Bernard Chasan writing on Elgar's Third Symphony:

>I agree that the music is wonderful, But the composer of two (now 3)
>great symphonies, Falstaff, Enigma Variations, the Cello and Violin
>Concertos, and the Sea Pictures orchestral song cycle never should have
>been considered to be "superannuated" whatever that word means in this
>context.  And why all this "reaching into the grave" rhetoric? Why does
>this unlovely and uncalled for expression apply to Elgar more than any
>other deceased composer or artist or writer we appreciate?

"Superannuated" was probably a kinder word than "obsolete white male
trumpeting the virtues of Empire", which is the bin *I* have seen Elgar
tossed into by *some* academics lately, who apparently would prefer
something more multicultural and diverse.

And I am sure that Mr. Hecht implied no necrophagy by his single remark;
rather, it read to me as "neglected by so many for so long as to have
become nearly forgotten by all" in it's application NOT to Elgar and his
music but **specifically** the Third, which, you must admit, *has* been
left on the dust heap (if not in the grave) for over half a century.

Mark