From:
Jeff Tedford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:33:47 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jane Pierce wrote:
>
>>I didn't realize how many people actually are listening to the background
>>music of soaps on TV, commercials on radio as well as TV
>
>I slapped in my CD of La Boheme (Callas/EMI).  They were transfixed.  On
>the way home, they specifically asked to hear the CD, not the radio.  You'd
>have to know the mentalities of the two kids to appreciate this.  I was in
>shock.

These kinds of experiences are I suspect, the norm, rather than the
deviation provided that we who love CM simply demonstrate it as part of our
lives-attraction, rather than promotion.  My mother played Tchaikovsky and
Lizst endlessly, to no apparent effect.  Then I saw Igor Stravinsky on
television discussing The Rite of Spring and as they played the music I
experienced the "shock of recognition" that only great art carries.Later I
saw the St Louis Symphony in my School and heard Debussy's La Mer for the
first time and Rachmaninoff, then the Brandenburgs.  I focused mainly on
Rock 'n Roll, then Jazz in College and then five years ago began a serious
self education in CM at age 40.  My son, who has been exposed to this and
Dance at age 16 is beginning to find Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk
significant.  So it goes...given the opportunity and support most humans
will prefer artistry to slop.

Jeff Tedford