From:
Baris Kilicbay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:43:19 +0200
Tim Dickinson about the Mass in g minor of Hasse:

>...this piece was a very pleasant surprise - I did not expect music this
>good from someone so obscure.

I don't think personally that Johann Adolf Hasse in an obscure figure in
the history of music.  He is one of the most prolific Italian opera seria
composers of the 18.  century.  He studied with the great Alessandro
Scarlatti and became the kapellmeister of the Dresden court.  He had all
one could desire (including his marriage with Fausta Bordini, famous opera
singer).  But Mr. Dickinson maybe right when you read these words written
by Francois Joseph Fetis in 1844: "Few artists enjoyed such success and
acquired such a remarkable reputation as Hasse; few have been forgotten
more completely than he is now".  But we are in 1999 and Hasse's music is
being re-discovered.  I can mention two recordings: *Piramo e Tisbe*,
intermezzo tragico in two parties sung by 3 soloists with La Stagione under
Michael Schneider (Capriccio 60 043-2) and an Opus 111 recording of two of
his religious works: *Requiem in C major* and *Miserere in E minor* (Il
Fondamento, Paul Dombrecht).

 [BARIS]