From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:17:35 -0800
I wrote:

>It has been announced that Elgar is to appear on British banknotes.
>In April all new 20 pound Bank of England notes will carry a portrait
>of Elgar and an image of the Malvern Hills on the reverse side.

I ought to have added that Elgar will replace Michael Farraday and his
magneto electric spark apparatus on the twenty in a case of art triumphing
over science.  For collectors of trivia, George Stephenson and his Rocket
are on the five pound note, Charles Dickens and the Cricket match at
Dingley Dell from "Pickwick Papers" is on the ten pound, and Sir John
Houblon is on the fifty.  (Who he? Who indeed.) I can't tell you who's on
the hundred because I've never seen one.  I leave that to my more affluent
compatriots.

Elgar would have loved being on the banknote.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.