From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:21:33 -0500
Julien Hernandez wrote:

>Next month I will (maybe....) listen to Martha Argerich and Nelson Freire
>performing Liszt and Rachmaninov.  They are supposed to perform Liszt's
>Concerto pathetique pour deux pianos.  But I can't find any comment or
>recording of this work.

This one does seem to be rather obscure, doesn't it? My latest Schwann-Opus
doesn't list a single recording.  I happen to have an old Vox/Turnabout LP
of this piece with Louis Kentner and Joan Havill, and here's what the liner
notes have to say:

   In 1849, during his Weimar period, Liszt wrote a major piano work
   called Grosses Konzertsolo for a piano competition at the Paris
   Conservatory. In view of its purpose there were a considerable number
   of virtuoso passages in it. Its main significance however, lies in
   the fact that in several points it heralds forms and use of themes
   which Liszt employed in some of his later compositions and which
   exerted considerable influence on other composers. This work, with
   some changes in its content, obtained an orchestral accompaniment
   done by someone other than Liszt. In 1856 Liszt revised this version
   and it became the Concerto Pathetique for two pianos.   (Nicholas
   Milroy)

Unfortunately, its been years since I listened to this recording so I can't
make any comments from my experience.

Tim Dickinson, TDWARE
http://www.tdware.com/