From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:52:44 EST
I believe reference to a 1997 London CD release of Arnold Schoenberg
compositions may have been previously made here.  Under pain of repetition
I'll call attention to what I consider a wonderful and tuneful group of
orchestral compositions released on London 448 619 (or BMG 120628.) This
CD gem conducted by John Mauceri, contains "Theme and Variations, op.43b,"
"Chamber Symphony No.  2, op.38, and "Suite for String Orchestra in G"
recorded by two Berlin orchestras in acoustically spatial surroundings
which enhance the performances.  Part of the London 'Entartete Music'
series (music suppressed by the third Reich) the compositions were actually
created in Hollywood shortly after Schoenberg's 1935 arrival in America and
after brief stays in New York and Boston.  Ignore the implication of the CD
title "Schoenberg In Hollywood." It is substantial music which I'm sure you
will find easy to like.

The CD booklet contains a cover photo of Schoenberg playing table
tennis which perfectly captures the spirit of the music contained within.
Somewhat reminiscent of "Transfigured Night" from a period two decades
earlier, these selections are chock full of tonal and rhythmic variety
quite unexpected from this period in the composers genre.  Now in a sixth
listen through, I am captivated.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA