From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:23:54 -0700
OK, I feel compelled to add my two cents worth here:

Tony Duggan ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>>No.1: My own favourites are Kubelik (DG), Horenstein (Unicorn) and
>>Horenstein (Vox, coupled with a fine Bruckner 9th) and Walter (Sony).
>>There is also a live Kubelik recording from 1972 on Originals (not to
>>be confused with DG Originals) that is superb but very hard to find.

Deryk Barker:

>Actually that Kubelik is 1975 and there is a recording from 1981 floating
>around the underground which is possibly even better.  But I must stop
>tantalising....

Since I have no way of knowing what any later Kubelik recording may have
in it's favor, I opt for the original DG recording.

>I think I'd take the 1965 Munich Klemperer over the 1951 Concertgebouw and
>I'd add the *first* (1962) Bernstein.

I will go for the Segerstam, thank ye.  The Walter is too washed-out for
my taste, the Scherchen is too much of a high-wire act.  Kubelik is a good
second choice (for me).  This is the APOCALYPSE we're talking about here,
and Segerstam lets you know it in no uncertain terms.

>>No.3: Horenstein (Unicorn), Adler (Harmonia Mundi), Kubelik (DG),
>>Barbirolli (BBC Legends).
>
>No arguments, although I'd add Bernstein (Sony).

(Sigh) - am I the only person who thinks the Levine recording is
under-rated? I prefer it to the Kubelik.  (Maybe it *is* just me - I can't
get the Horenstein recording to "click", and have given up trying....)

>>No.6: Boulez (DG), Nanut (Zyx and others), Horenstein (Unicorn, Music
>>and Arts), Barbirolli (EMI) and Thomas Sanderling (RS), Szell (Sony.)
>
>All this agreement is getting worrying...

Once again - Segerstam.  I've *never* heard an orchestra scream as it does
in the final bars.  Hair-raising.  You do NOT know what you're missing if
you haven't heard this recording.

>>No.8: Horenstein (BBC Legends).  No other will do for me now.  No other
>>comes close.
>
>Yup.

See another posting - this hasn't made it's way to the provincial areas
yet.  But - I warn you, you two have given this one hell of a build-up to
live up to, and Segerstam's recording quality alone will prove a tough
challenge to match.

>>No.9: Horenstein LSO 1966 (Music and Arts), Klemperer (EMI), Walter (both
>>the Sony 1961 and the Vienna 1938 live recording on Dutton) and Barbirolli
>>(EMI).
>
>Oh stop it!

Walter's 1938 for me.  The distant sound is in no way a handicap in this
instance - it improves every time I hear it.

>>No.10: Wigglesworth on a BBC magazine disc.
>
>I like this and the Rattle, but I still prefer the Sanderling (Ars Vivendi)
>to either.

I have a soft spot for the original Ormandy recording.  The Wigglesworth
is good, but hardly one that you could recommend, since it isn't widely
available.  Morris's first take on the "final" Cooke version is pretty
dull, and Levine's is just downright constipated.  Rattle, I guess, for
a Cooke version, Segerstam (yet again) for the Adagio only.

Mark