From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 02:21:51 -0500
Note to those who don't follow USA collegiate football:  The Bowl
Championship Series, or BCS, is a complex, formulaic method of identifying
the top college football teams in the hopes of determining a national
champion.  Its critics feel that it is a misguided attempt to, ahem,
measure the unmeasurable.  We here in the USA are inundated with football
at this time of year, culminating in BCS' one game playoff (scheduled for
Monday night).  Gripped with football fever, and with tongue planted firmly
in cheek, I wrote the following just for fun.  Rate-a-phobes please proceed
immediately to the next message.

--------

Welcome, music fans, to the finale of the Best Champion Symphonist (or
BCS) playoff series.  As you might not recall, this year's crown for the
greatest symphonic composer of all time boils down to a head-to-head, mano
a mano matchup between the two top rated composers from our ranking system:
namely Ludwig von Beethoven and Gustav Mahler.  In today's game, these two
masters will match up their symphonies one at a time and the one with the
most victories will be declared the champion.

Let's kick off with Symphony No 1:  Few commentators would name either
composer's initial offering at the top of their output, but Mahler burst
forth with his mature voice intact while Beethoven's debut symphony, its
innovations notwithstanding, was in the style of an era that he would soon
supercede.  If their first symphony was the only one that these composers
had been able to compose, I think that we would play Mahler's more
frequently today.  Mahler 1, Beethoven 0.

Symphony No 2:  Beethoven's 2nd is an underrated piece, brimming with
energy and joy.  Mahler's sophomore effort, while perhaps less consistent
in execution, was much more ambitious and in many ways attained greater
heights than the relatively modest effort of the German.  Thus, this match
goes to the Bohemian/Austrian.  Mahler 2, Beethoven 0.

Symphony No 3:  Mahler's 3rd is a wonderful piece, but is it really fair to
compare *any* other work to 'Eroica'? Mahler 2, Beethoven 1.

Symphony No 4:  Beethoven's 4th is another fine, underrated symphony:
joyful, sensuous, and fun.  Mahler's 4th is also a charming though somewhat
uncharacteristic piece.  This one is close, each with slow movements that
give us music for the ages, but the melody-filled opener of Mahler's piece
(with seven, count 'em, wonderful themes) tips the scales in its favor.
Mahler 3, Beethoven 1.

Symphony No 5:  Mahler's 5th is a wonderful piece, but is it really fair to
compare *any* other work to Beethoven's 5th? Mahler 3, Beethoven 2.

Symphony No 6:  Here we have two masterpieces that couldn't contrast more
in mood:  the bright sunshine of (most of) Beethoven's journey to country
vs Mahler's trip to hell (and no, he doesn't bring us back - at least not
until the next symphony).  Each is such a masterful realization of what
seems to be their composer's aims that I can't choose between the two.
This one's a draw.  Mahler 3, Beethoven 2, one draw.

Symphony No 7:  Beethoven gives us yet another masterpiece here, while
Mahler's 7th (despite its fans, which includes yours truly) has its
detractors, even within the Mahler camp.  This one goes to Beethoven.
Mahler 3, Beethoven 3, one draw.

Symphony No 8:  While it has its supporters, Beethoven's scaled down 8th
is one of his least played symphonies.  In terms of scope, Mahler's massive
opus is, of course, on the opposite end of the scale.  I've read that a
good live performance of Mahler's 8th can be an almost life changing
experience, so the nod here goes to Gus.  Mahler 4, Beethoven 3, one draw.

Symphony No 9: Mahler's 9th is surely a masterpiece, but is it really fair
to compare *any* other work with Beethoven's 9th?

So at the end of regulation, we have a tie:  Mahler 4, Beethoven 4, one
draw.  To decide a winner, there will be additional overtime matchups, in
pairs, until the score falls to the favor of one composer over the other.

Going to each composer's bench, I see that Mahler has a published work,
Das Lied von der Erde, which is a hybrid, part symphony and part song
cycle.  That is fine, let's see what does Beethoven have in reserve that
is comparable? Hmmmm, two pieces that are part symphony and part something
else would be the Choral Fantasy and Wellington's Victory.  Heck, I'll let
the B's put both of those up against Mahler's piece, because it is still a
mismatch.  Advantage, Mahler.  (Loud rumblings are heard from the Beethoven
sidelines.)

So Beethoven will get an opportunity to tie.  Mahler is sending in an
unfinished 10th symphony, whose performing edition was completed by
another's hand.  While there is little activity from the Beethoven
sidelines, I see that, sitting way down at the end of their bench, on the
other side of all of those overtures, is an unfinished 10th symphony whose
performing edition was completed by another's hand.  Perfect!  (The din
from the B's gets ever louder.)

The two number 10s presents another clear mismatch in Mahler's favor.
So with the score being Mahler 6, Beethoven 4, and one draw, the contest
is decided.  Based upon the BCS rules and format, I declare Gustav Mahler
to be the Best Champion Symphonist of all times.  (Angry shouts continue
to come from the Beethoven camp, with their volume and veracity ever
increasing.  Our commentator exits swiftly stage right, with the several
angry Beethovians in close pursuit.)

Tim Dickinson, TDWARE
http://www.tdware.com/