From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:48:38 -0800
Jonathan Ellis ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

Deryk Barker wrote:

>>Well the Concertgebouw (hall and orchestra) certainly have the track
>>record, but I think that, with the zeal of the newly-converted, you are
>>overestimating Chailly's stature as a Mahlerian which, IMHO, is good but
>>not great.
>
>Aren't you forgetting the Mahler reputation built up by van Beinum and
>Haitink, not to mention Mengelburg? Quite a team to go head-to-head with
>(and you'll most probably chastise me for putting a proposition at the end
>of the sentence....)

I carefully (so I thought) said that the orchestra has the track record (by
which I meant Mengelberg et.  al) but that I don't believe Chailly is a
great Mahlerian (yet).

As for prepositions, here is a good one from Stephen Fry: young child, ill
in bed is bored, so asks mother to fetch a book from downstairs to read to
her.  Mother returns with a book on Australia.

"Oh mum!" came the plaintive cry, "what did you go and get a book about
Down Under up for?" (for 5 in a row at the end....)

Deryk Barker