From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:24:00 -0500
Lindsey Orcutt wrote:

>On the other hand, the "dumbing down" aspect has allowed me to enjoy movies
>like "Shakespeare in Love" though I *knew* all along there were glaring
>errors.  (Seriously, who in 1570-something said "Don't have a cow..."???)
>There's something to be said about taking movies on their own terms.

"Shakespeare in Love" is a funny film that makes no claim to historical
accuracy, quite the contrary.  Once freed from that restraint, the writers
had the freedom to pursue their own crazy designs.  A typical Stoppard
romp that is not to be missed, for those list members who haven't had the
pleasure.  Like the best musical satire, which is funnier the more you
know about the subject (e.g., Anna Russell, who is "dead on" evenwhen she
appears to be at her most ridiculous), this is a delight from start to
finish, with lots of real wit.  A film addressed to an adult (i.e.,
grown-up, not porno), intelligent and aware audience -- how rare.  Gwyneth
Paltrow has her best role yet, and Judy Dench IS whatever she plays.  I
can't wait to see it again.

Eric