From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:49:32 -0500
Jane Pierce wrote:

>I didn't realize how many people actually are listening to the background
>music of soaps on TV, commercials on radio as well as TV.  Perhaps parents
>will be surprised when children start to ask for recordings of that song
>they heard as they were jogging or are on hold on the telephone. ...  A
>plumber fixing my heater once observed my child learning to whistle using
>a Chopin Nocturne that I was learning at the time.  Given the right
>information one can adapt it to many situations.

True.  My daughter, 13, was in the car the other day with a male friend the
same age.  They couldn't agree on whether to listen to a bubble-gum station
or a rap station.  Getting sick of the argument, I slapped in my CD of La
Boheme (Callas/EMI).  They were transfixed.  On the way home, they
specifically asked to hear the CD, not the radio.  You'd have to know the
mentalities of the two kids to appreciate this.  I was in shock.

Mitch Friedfeld