From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:12:08 +0000
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>The recent List dialog concerning Leopold Stokowski's adaptation of Bach
>to modern symphonic resources revealed that many members are upset at the
>less than authentic Stoki treatment of baroque works.  I wonder how we
>would have reacted to a small jazz group interpreting the spirit ofJSB's
>music as realized by Boston's Handel and Hayden Society and two of the
>world's premier jazz performers.

This is, of course, no new trend.  In the sixties we had the Swingle
Singers and Jacque Loussier with his Play Bach Trio.  Both did a lot
to introduce a wider audience to some of Bach's masterpieces - and,
incidentally, get Bach lovers (such as undersigned) interested in other
forms of music.  I recently purchased two bargain-priced Play Bach CDs and
was pleased to be transported back to the smoky bars of my youth <sigh>.

Jonathan