From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:15:40 +1100
Dave Lampson averred:

>I also believe its obvious that many of the works of composers such as
>Reger, Zemlinsky, Hindemith, and Schmidt show a strong Brahmsian influence,
>but, being a simple engineer, I lack the descriptive analytical tools to
>provide further musical argument.

I'm with Dave on this, although I'm no engineer, simple or otherwise!
Dvorak has been mentioned as having been influenced by Brahms, but Brahms
also comes through strongly in the symphonies of Stanford and Parry.
There's even a Parry piece called Elegy for Brahms.  The first movement
of Schmidt's 1st contains what seems to be almost a quote from the first
movement of Schumann's 2nd.

I think there might be a case for Berlioz not having influenced anyone,
but I'm prepared to be persuaded to the opposite view.

Richard Pennycuick