Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:34:35 -0500
From:
Ben Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Aaron Asked:

>Are there any other composers who appear on money anywhere?

Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii wrote Nani Na:Pua: as well as ==Aloha' Oe==
the national anthem and championed classical and folk music.

King Kamehameha IV and Queen Emma starred in Il Trovatore and Martha in the
first opera in Hawaii on 8 March 1861 to good reviews, even by the critic
from the "Pacific Commercial Advertiser", who did not attend.  The other
members of the Royal Family championed culture until we killed off the
savages and took their land for plantations and churches.  This is from the
book "Music in the West" which was kindly given me by Dr.  Craig Parker of
Kansas State University.  Copies of the articles on the history of Hawaiian
music available on request.  There are nice pictures included.

Early Hawaiian stamps pictured the rulers and are quite valuable today.  I
don't remember what they used for money or whether they needed it until we
arrived.  I will find out.

There may be other rulers who were composers or quite musical.  If I were
king, I might write my own Anthem; or at least comission a new one from a
starving composer.  Call me some time--we'll do lunch.

Ben Palmer
Philatelist