Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:46:21 -0000
From:
"Godfrey M. Abbott" <[log in to unmask]>
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>While we're discussing concert ambience and behaviour, I've often thought
>that CM performers would be far more comfortable playing a concert in the
>sort of clothes they would wear to rehearsal.  It seems to me that the
>wearing of formal evening dress is an anachronism which does nothing
>whatever to enhance the quality of the performance but has much to do with
>maintaining the perception that classical music is an activity for the
>rich. ...

I couldn't agree more!  As a member of several local amateur choral groups
I find performing in a tux under arc lights does nothing for my voice.
OTOH I would think the sight of a bunch of people singing the Bach B-minor
Mass in jeans and T-shirts would do likewise to the ambience for the
audience.

Godfrey Abbott
Newbury
Berkshire, UK.