From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 15:43:06 -0400
Hi Robin,

YES YES YES!! I believe that bf must be supported proactively also. Thank
you for saying that.
In our community, we are working on this with great gusto.  The
pediatricians do not, in general, yet see their patients on a routine basis
before 14 days, although one I know does.

It also sounds like your hospital is very willing to financially support the
bf follow up that needs to happen. That is another great thing.. We are
working on this here. In our hospital, we do not have a realization yet that
perhaps hospitals should not be accepting free formula to use in their
nursery.  They would then have to PAY for that. I believe that if formula is
to be used in a hospital setting, (and sometimes this is necessary ), that
it should be a patient charge item like any other...tylenol, IV drugs, Adult
food trays, etc.

Kathleen

PS. Have no real experience with the Nuture III. Glad that it works so well
for you. I think I tried one once, as a demo, and found that it pinched my
breasts...maybe this had to do with the fact that I had to let the suction
build up to a high level in order to get milk to collect? Maybe this has
changed now...I would like to know, as I have mothers asking for good double
pumps that are for SALE and not for rent.  Keeping my mind open to new
possibilities.

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA
To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer..