HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:07:31 -0400
In a message dated 8/7/1999 12:01:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Now if we could just agree to move the pearlware date back, since it has
been
 found in the wrecks of the "Orpheus" and the "Defence" and also at Pluckamin,
 NJ (excuse spelling if wrong for NJ site) all with tight dates before TPQ
 1780. >>

I would point out that at the 1768 John Bartlam pottery site near Charleston
SC we found blue hand painted wares with a definite bluish glaze tint. If
found anywhere else they would be called "pearlware" (one reason that I don't
like type names and the interpretive baggage they carry).  I believe that
these area what George Miller referred to as "China Glaze" back in the 80s
(though he gave it a date of 1774, if I remeber correctly). I also believe
that they were found in a similar context at the Greatbatch pottery in
Staffordshire (David?)...

The 1780 date should have long been dead, but still hangs on because none of
us so called experts has gotten off of our posteriors and revised either
South's ceramic date list or Noel Hume's date ranges. I blame everyone but
myself, being far too busy.

Carl Steen