HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"AGBE-DAVIES ANNA ... RESEARCH" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:50:54 -0400
Dear David and others,

I think the point about terminology is well taken, although I have the impression that most people are able to understand that not all "Jackfield" comes from Jackfield kilns, etc, that the term is simply a label that refers to particular physical characteristics of a sherd or vessel (as perhaps Lucy implied?).

I am curious what terms have been used to replace these proper-name-type terms?  We still need to be able to refer to these artifacts by some kind of name or label (at least I think so).  Could people post some examples of alternatives to the dec arts/ collector names?

cool discussion!

Anna

__
Anna Agbe-Davies