HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:33:01 EST
In a message dated 11/23/1998 7:57:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< First, the SHA Publication Style Guide can be found at:
     http://www.sha.org/ha_style.htm

 Second, and unfortunately, there are no online SHA guidelines for electronic
 sources.  Almost two years ago, subscribers of HISTARCH drafted a set of
 proposed revisions for electronic sources to the style guide (see below).
These
 proposed revisions were submitted to the SHA, but I have not heard if the
 editorial staff subsequently made final revisions.  If they have, it would be
 good idea to post them to the SHA style guide web page. >>

A Third point to consider is the ephemerality of the sources--I would say,
don't use an electronic reference without including the pertinent text as an
end note or in an appendix. I save lots of e-mails, but who saves them all?
That is, how could I check to see if you quoted the source correctly?  That,
after all, is the point of referencing, isn't it? Just a thought, Carl Steen