HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:57:54 BST
On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 03:32:02 -0500 Matt wrote:

> Don't group all salvors into one group because a few thieving idiots
> decided to go wreck pirating. if you do that, than you should except the
> same double standard for all the "archaeologists" who stole artifacts (or
> plundered in some cases during the American move west and the British
> colonization of various countries) in the past few centuries.           ^^^^^^
^^^

> Matt CIM

Ummm....  Surely that should be "European".  I know we cruelly subjugated
you lot to our evil colonial whims, but surely we can't be held solely responsib
le
for the rest of the world.  Those nice French, German, Dutch, Spanish (remember
them?  They controlled large sections of something called "Latin America"),
Portuguese, Italians, Swedes, Danes, Russians - have I forgotten anyone? - all
had their part to play as well....  And surely "American move west" is just the
teensiest bit euphemistic, isn't it?

Alasdair Brooks
University of York