HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:07:37 +0100
EACohan asks if
perhaps you
> could supply me with a definition of the term DECAPAGE, which I believe
> refers to a technique for excavating sites in blocks of units being removed
> by natural layers.  The term was recently cited in the SAA Bulletin (Society
> for American Archaeology), v.18, no.1, Jan. 2000, p.26.  I have attempted to
> contact the author, searched my collection of materials on methodology,
> contacted the WWW Ask-A-Geologist service of the U.S. Geological Survey and
> put the request on the Yahoo list server on Field Archaeology, etc....all to
> no avail.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Many thanks in advance, Prof. (ret)
> Leonard Cohan  ( a university library director and prof. of information
> science, now a fairly active avocational archaeologist).

you can contact him directly at:
but please share with the list
        sounds a bit like a hybrid wheeler-thing, or maybe like what they do in
caves, taking out layers stratigraphically in one-meter squares?
        the direct translation from french is "scouring"

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/