HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:09:50 -0400
Larry,

We recovered a wrought iron brand from Feature 1, Area C at Broom Hall
Plantation in the Goose Creek area of South Carolina. The feature had a
mean date of about 1747. The brand was a stylized "PT" for the owner,
Peter Taylor, who held the plantation from sometime after 1721 until his
death in 1765. It is illustrated in Figure 48 of our report, Broom Hall
Plantation: "A Pleasant One and In A Good Neighborhood." (Chicora
Research Series 44).

A brand for Daniel Heyward (of Old House Plantation, Jasper County, SC)
was also documented in the historic records of the American Revolution.
It is briefly discussed in our report, Preliminary Archaeological and
Historical Investigations at Old House Plantation, Jasper County, South
Carolina (Chicora Research Series 49).

Finally, I seem to recall that brands are mentioned in Maag's 1961
thesis, Cattle Raising in Colonial South Carolina.

Although ear cutting or marking was common, it seems that branding was
also. Hope this helps,

Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director