HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:55:26 -0400
In a message dated 7/16/1999 9:25:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 We did recover a privy in the middle of the slave settlement at Ferry
 (Roupelmound) Plantation in Beaufort County. About 4-feet square and
 about 4-feet deep, it was wood (heart pine) lined, with bottom wood
 having largely rotted out and replaced with brick, which in turn was
 disturbed (I suspect) by later cleaning. There was a wall trench
 structure on two (probably 3) sides. >>

>>Michael--

one last note on your privy. Is there any possibility that this could be a
root cellar--as seen in Virginia/Mid Atlantic states? Wood and brick linings
are not unusual, though the depth is definitely on the outer limit for most I
have seen. Soil chemistry should show trace elements related to human
waste... If it really is a privy then congratulations--and good luck in
explaining it!  For example, why was it the first and only privy in a slave
settlement? Since people in urban settings of the 1730s to 1750s were having
to be forced by law to dig, use and maintain privies, what would explain the
extreme fastidiousness of these country folk? Religion? This should generate
some interesting research, which I hope that you will share with the list.
Anyonre else have any explanations?  I'd like to hear more about the site in
general, as it sounds very interesting--especially the wall trench
structures. Who owned the place?  Perhaps you can post a few pages of the
report on your web site?

Carl Steen