HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

"Daniel H. Weiskotten" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:15:05 -0500
Folks:
        Several people asked me to elaborate or provide references to some of the
situations I noted as examples of how reuse and recycling impact the
archaeological record.  I've found some of the notes I was looking for, so
here 'tis:

Ann Smart Martin, 1989, "The Role of Pewter as Missing Artifact: Consumer
Attitudes Toward Tablewares in Late 18th Century Virginia" _Historical
Archaeology_ 1989 23#2, :1-27

seen in a used book store:
_Adjustment of Salvages, 276-280 South Street, New York, 1865_ _Report of
the Committee on Salvages in the Free and Bonded Warehouses, 276, 278, &
280 South Street, New York, Destroyed by Fire April 16, 1865_

1860 Federal Census, Town of Dewitt, Onondaga County, NY, Schedule of
Industry:
(paraphrased)
Dedrick Bear, bone cleaner, used 40 tons of bone valued at $200.00 and 100
dead animals valued at $100.00; made 7,500 pounds of grease valued at
$350.00 and 40 tons of bones valued at $360.00

Dewitt, located outside of Syracuse, was then a relatively rural township
with a few small settlements.  The Erie Canal Bisected the town, so the
source for his raw materials (yuck) and market for his finished product
(still yucky) could have been anywhere.  There were a few candle makers in
small towns, and Syracuse must have had some then.

Dan W.