HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:38:59 -0800
Similar preservation conditions were observed at the San Diego Presidio
(California) during Paul Ezell's excavations (1965-1976).

Based on archaeological and documentary evidence, it appears that shroud
burials were customary for all but the elite in Northern New Spain, and the
early Mexican Republic era in the Southwest. They are mentioned by Josiah
Gregg in his early account of New Mexico. Evidence from Tucson Presidio
(AZ) indicates the burials were often packed with lime. Females were often
buried in a rebozo or shawl. I know of no examples of burial "pins"
associated with these graves.

It may be of some note that burials were not marked during this era.
Instead, an emphasis was placed on being buried in sacred ground. Burials
were frequently disturbed by new graves. The position of the burial and the
orientation of the head often reflect the status and social function of the
individual.

Very fancy pins and clasps were used with military cloaks. These capes were
used as the functional equivalent of overcoats, or greatcoats. We recovered
a very intricate pin and associated chain made from very fine brass wire at
the Presidio of Tubac (AZ), from a deposit dated circa 1750-1800. It occurs
to me that a soldier buried in his cape might have a pin that appears to be
a shroud pin.

By far, the best preserved burial unearthed in Northern New Spain, was
found in Arizpe, Sonora. The skeleton of Manuel Echeaggaray, a presidio
commander of the later 18th century, was found in a subfloor burial of the
church. The coffin was intact and packed in lime. The body was suspended
with a mat nailed to the sides of the coffin. Portions of the blue and red
uniform were still visible. The remains are on display in Arizpe today.  I
have heard that similar burials were found in Santa Fe, NM, dating from the
17th century, but have seen no reports on them.

Jack S. Williams