HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 11:54:05 +0000
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 10:22:34 +0000 (GMT)
From: KF Giles <[log in to unmask]>
To: Susan Buckham <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Structural function (fwd)

If I understand the enquiry correctly, this is a question about whether
archaeologists should be concerned with the study of architectural
structures 'located by archaeology', and how these should be approached,
both theoretically and methodologically.
Buildings have long been considered an essential part of material culture,
and archaeology is and should be concerned with their interpretation both
as imprints and standing structures. Theoretically this is no different
from the study of landscapes and/or artefacts because we are frequently
uncertain about their original function/meaning and change over time.
There is a long standing debate about the application of stratigraphic
principles to buildings in England which is germane to this issue, and
there was a conference held by the University of York two years ago on the
subject which considered both these debates in detail.
I hope this is of use.
Kate Giles ([log in to unmask]).