HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ann Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:13:32 -0400
St. John Fisher College
announces its  Archaeology Field School, Summer 1998
Joel N. Lee Site and Crusoe House Site,
 Wayne County, New York

Welcome to the St. John Fisher College  Archaeology Summer Field School,
1998

We hope you will join us this summer.  We are looking forward to an
interesting, informative and fun six weeks, on two different sites in
upstate New York.

We are located half-way between Rochester and Syracuse, New York, just
north of the Finger Lakes, and about 10 miles south of Lake Ontario.  We
are in the heartland of the Iroquois League, and at the center of the Erie
Canal, and both these facts have helped shape the sites we will be
excavating.

Our two different sites offer students a chance to participate in the full
range of  "digs," from initial survey to full-scale excavation.  The broad
span of time these sites cover, c. 10,000 years ago to the 1960's, will
expose students to a broad range of artifacts, both prehistoric and
historic.

Our program combines basic training in archaeological excavation and
cultural resource management with lectures and labs on material culture,
excavation theory and local history.  Field trips are included.

We welcome students from all disciplines.  Previous archaeological
experience, although welcomed, is not required.  We especially encourage
"first-timers" and differently-abled students to apply.

Please read our brochure, which follows:

St. John Fisher College is again offering an archaeological field school
within commuting distance of Rochester.
Set in rural Wayne County, about one hour from Rochester, Syracuse, or
Ithaca, this program offers students the opportunity to participate in two
excavations.

The first, the Joel N. Lee Site, a 19th century Euro-American farmstead,
is an ongoing excavation now in its seventh year.  The second is new this
year;  the Crusoe House Site, a multi-use site with a potential history of
 10,000 years.

The excavations are sponsored by St. John Fisher College and the Wayne
County Historical Society.

ELIGIBILITY
The program is open to anyone, age 18 or older.  Applicants must be in
good health, and able to do physical labor in a hot, sunny climate.  No
previous archaeological experience or coursework is required.

CREDIT
3  to  6 credits are available through St. John Fisher's Anth 493,
Fieldwork.  There are also non-credit options.  Please contact Dr. Ann
Morton for more details.

PROGRAM
The field school will run for 6 weeks, from July 8th to August 16th, 1998.
 The schedule calls for a five day field week, Wednesday to Sunday, with
Monday and Tuesday off.  Days begin at 9 am and end at 4:30 pm.

THE SITES
Joel N. Lee Farm:  which is located on Route 414, just north of the town
of Rose, was originally settled in 1827 by pioneer Joel Lee and his
family.  The present farm is 10 acres, including barns and fields, and has
been continuously occupied since Joel Lee's time.

Excavations in summer 1988 will concentrate in the layout of the original
farm, in a search for "missing" farm buildings, and on an exploration of
the second owner, Sarah Williams.  Was she the "liberated lady farmer" of
the 1870's?

Crusoe House Site:  is located on Route 89 in Savannah, about 15 minutes
east of the Lee Site.  The Crusoe House itself, built in 1824, has been a
tavern, post office and meeting place.  The site has been a fording place
for Crusoe Creek from earliest times, and Native American activities on
the site may extend back as far as 10,000 years.  Preliminary excavations
this summer will determine the extent of the site  and the phases of
occupation.

HOUSING, TRANSPORTATION AND COSTS
The site is within commuting distance of most central New York locations,
and commuting students should provide their own transportation to and from
the site, daily.

Housing nearby will also be available, with transportation provided to and
from the site.  Please contact Dr. Ann Morton if you will require housing.

Tuition cost is $345 per credit hour.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Dr. Ann Morton,
Principal Investigator

Department of Anthropology, St. John Fisher College,
3690 East Avenue, Rochester, NY  14618
(716) 385-8384,
email:  [log in to unmask]

or at
115 Maxwell Avenue,  Rochester, NY, 14619
(716) 527-8164

Come and dig in New York State this summer...