HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:04:56 -0400
I really can't resist any longer, I always like to talk about privies.
However, I think the silence is due to the fact that most people are
probably in the field.  That's where I have been and I am too hot and tired
to reply much, even on a topic that I like to talk about.  Anyway, privy
discussions have taken place several times on the list since at least 95
when was working on my thesis (on privies of course).  However, the slave
privy question is an interesting one that has not been discussed much.  I
don't know of any that have been excavated and I would be interested to find
out more about them.  I might also remind people that privies don't always
start-out as privies.  As we all well know, we have many features because
people like to fill-in holes.  Perhaps an abandoned pit cellar could have
later functioned as a privy or repository for human waste amongst other
fill.

Also, I have a question about rural privies.  Several of you have already
given some good information on them.  I usually deal with urban privies and
I am a bit hesitant about working on rural ones, particularly since I don't
know when they were last used, which can be pretty recent.  Anyway, the
question is  would rural privies accumulate many artifacts during use?  Many
urban privies are full of stuff because people in urban areas generally had
a tough time finding a place to get rid of their trash.  With plenty of
space to dispose of trash in the rural areas, would a privy serve a similar
function.  At least in Kentucky, the prevailing theory of rural trash
disposal is in the nearest sinkhole, except for some major appliances and
cars which end-up in the front yard.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey