From:
Ann Twiggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:22:08 -0500
Actually, hominy and grits are two different corn products.  Hominy is a
soft, puffed up kernel of corn that is pretty tastless.  Grits on the other
hand is ground up corn that does resemble cream of wheat when
cooked.  There are two types, white and yellow.  The yellow is more
nutritious in that it has more vitamin A.  I love cheese grits and a
breastfast of grits with a pat of butter, sliced fresh tomato from the
garden and a fried egg is delicious.  I think grits would be a fine cereal
food for a child and many a southern child has grown healthy with them
as part of a balanced diet.

Ann M. Twiggs, RD, LD, IBCLC
Columbus, Ohio now, but who grew up in Tennessee and Georgia