Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Jan Barger RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:21:22 EST
ARGHHHHH!  I just had another mom who birthed in a hospital in our area who
was told by (a well-meaning person, I'm sure) a nurse that she was to
breastfeed on ONE SIDE ONLY during a feed.  What in the blankety blank is
going on?  I finally said, "If it sounds like a "rule" it's probably
incorrect."  Sheesh!  This was a mom of a premie, who was first told, on
taking the baby home, that she was to feed only every four hours, but because
bf was so stressful, she was to only breastfeed every other feeding.  The
opposite feeds were to be bm via bottle -- so much LESS stressful, don't you
know????  ARGGGGHHHHH again!  So, she's actually breastfeeding a sum total of
3 times in 24 hours on ONE SIDE per feeding.  She rents a scale -- being the
obsessive type, and baby is transferring only 15 cc per feeding, so the rest
of the 2.5 ounces (for a 4#15 ounce infant) is via bottle.  She's pumping a
zillion times a day so the baby won't get too much formula -- only getting
maybe 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per feeding -- mom isn't getting a tremendous amount,
but hey -- she isn't breastfeeding, she's only pumping.

Sigh.  where on EARTH do they get these notions.  What happened to let the
baby decide what she needs to do -- and maybe a bit of guidance if she isn't
giving a lot of feeding cues.  This isn't the first time I've heard this.

Not to mention, tonight a mom called -- her baby was a tad underweight
(according to a home visit nurse, lost 4 ounces in 24 hours -- of course, the
fact that we are talking two different scales didn't faze anyone) -- so mom is
to PUMP and feed by BOTTLE so we can make sure the baby is taking 81
cc/feeding!!!!!  Not even breastfeed and supplement.  Of course, no one
NOTICED that the mom is pumping up to 6 to 8 ounces PER PUMPING -- or checked
to see HOW the baby was breastfeeding -- no one even LOOKED at the feed!!!  Am
I p****d?  You better believe it!!!!

Lord, give me strength!!!

Jan Barger -- who will not say where she is from today.