Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:51:30 +0000
They used to say the personal is the political - and here's a new example.

I think this is a terrible, horrible and cruel idea. I know it would not
work in the UK, as there are laws to prevent things like this happening -
you have to donate blood, for example, and there is a network of millions
of volunteers who do it regularly. They do it as a communitarian act that
shows human beings can do sometning for someone else - without getting
anything but a warm glow in return. No one makes profits out of it, as it
is a public service administered by the Blood Transfusion Service.

For anyone to make money out of the wonderful natural resource of breast
milk - and it wouldn't be the donating mother making the most money, would
it, but the 'business' people behind the scheme - is truly deeply shocking.
Now, a sort of nationally-backed  milk bank for donations, given freely,
used by babies and mothers who needed it  - that would be worth doing.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc UK