Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 16:02:28 -0500
7bit
From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Lisa, FIRST (and immediately) ask to see a copy of every one of their
existing policies on breastfeeding, including all the standing orders from
all the pediatricians and ob's. You can't (and won't )make any
recommendations till you carefully analyze what's already in place.

After you've studied and analyzed all the existing policies, you'll be able
to see what's good - that you can reinforce; what's needing to be changed;
and where the holes are. Your response to them should be:

1. Your policies on X, Y and Z are very good, and exactly the same as what I
teach/suggest. I'm confident we'll have no confusion or conflict here.
2. There is no existing policy on A, and it's important to breastfeeding
because (XXX). How do you ordinarily develop a new policy on something? I've
got some ideas, and want to make sure I'm following the proper channels for
new policies.
3. The policy on B could be a problem. What procedure do you follow when you
have to change an existing policy?

If you find something really awful, you may want to sidestep it for the time
being while you focus on all that you DO have in common with existing
policies. If the staff isn't following existing policies, that's another
story. By asking to see what's in place first, you will be showing more team
spirit and cooperation, and will uncover any "games" that they might be
playing.  If they won't let you see existing policies, beware - there's
probably another agenda being played out.

Do this every so professionally, of course.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com