Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:57:53 +1100
>I am interested in adding swabs for thrush to our arsenal in our clinic.

Hi Marie,
I'm not advocating swabbing nipples or baby's mouth to prove thrush if we
are making a clinical diagnosis of nipple thrush. Unfortunately most swabs
are negative (no growth of candida) and therefore not helpful.
What I was thinking of is when the mother has no pain and baby has only a
white tongue. I just swab the tongue and put the swab (cotton on the end of
a wooden stick) into transport medium - the lab does the micro and culture.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia