From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:42:11 -0500
Gail Hertz is right - it's fascinating to re-read original research!

Lately I've been digging for material on pacifiers, searching on Medline and
other databases from home. I download and print out the abstracts, highlight
the ones I want to read completely, and then go to the local medical library
for a couple of hours to get the original articles. The librarians have been
MOST helpful, and sometimes they point me to other sources that I can access
through the library's internet connections.

Just following the links in the search databases has been very interesting.
If you have an hour or so, I highly recommend "surfing" these resources.
Great activity for a rainy day or slow Sunday afternoon.

To search Medline, go to www.nlm.nih.gov and follow the links. The National
Library of Medicine also has a very helpful newsletter that explains how to
do searches and get articles. If I felt rich, I could order the actual
articles directly from Loansome Doc and pay by credit card. The online
instructions are very user-friendly.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA