HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:49:03 -0400
They sure were there, and lots of people saw and /or killed them. There are
some references to buffaloes in the Jesuit Relations. They appear in several
of the eastern exploration narratives--I think Lawson may have seen one. I
know that they inhabited the cane brakes of Kentucky--see Hogan, Roseann R.
"Buffaloes in the Corn: James Wade's Account of Pioneer Kentucky," Register
of the  Kentucky Hist. Soc. LXXXIX (1991), 30.

Phil