HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:58:39 -0400
I recall references to small herds of bison (or buffalo) in the early contact
period.  I believe that these references may have been in one or more of John
Swanton's works.  More recently, Charles Hudson has several references to
sightings during the same period in the index of his The Southeastern Indians
(Univ. of Tenn Press, 1976).  I'm sure there must be others.  Good luck.

    Christopher Murphy, Ph.D.
    Department of History & Anthropology
    Augusta State University
    Augusta, GA  30904