HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:51:28 -0400
Karlis Karlin's comments on the question of fee-Work Shops at SHA are
interesting; however, I stand by my original points. Of course we would
all like a "little" help attending national scholarly meeting which cost
well over $1,000 (minimum) a meeting. I can no longer afford to attend
more than one per year (always SHA!) but in the past could go to two or
three.

I fully appreciate the merit of Work Shops and do not doubt the hard work
of the organizers anymore than I fail to appreciate all types of
sessions, symposiums and other elements that make up an annual meeting.
But the attitude that "everything costs money these days" is certainly
current but nevertheless wrong headed. SHA has always had a philosophy of
keeping costs (all costs) as low as possible (cf. the AAA or SAA) and
that should remain our policy. Many things "cost money" today because of
the opposite  philosophy - if it is meritorius just pass the expense on to
the membership. If you want to see what eventually is down that road just
look at the AAA.

Teaching at a university, working for a CRM firm,or running a government
office are not parallels to a national scholarly conference. SHA is a
voluntary organization in which we all voluntarily participate. Except
for two minor exceptions (the office manager and the copy editor - not
the Editor nor the Secretary-Treasurer) no one is payed for the
tremendous amount of work they put into the SHA. They all have other jobs
although some of them do the eqivalent of a primary job for SHA. Compare
editing the journal or newsletter, being Secretary-Treasurer or
organizing the annual conference to running a Work Shop. Once you
start to say that Work Shops are a special category why stop there, why not
special symposiums, discussion sessions or any other element within the annual
meeting.

If Work Shops are so exceptional and important (and perhaps they are)
then we need to have a public policy,  which does not ignore prior
resolutions by the membership, that is up-front and clear as to what we
are getting into as a society. I have some ideas in regard to such a
policy but will wait until the Business Meeting at SHA 1999 (which we
should all ATTEND) in Salt Lake City (and after hearing from some of the
membership) before suggesting them.

                                Bob Schuyler