From:
"Linda L. Shaw MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:18:08 EDT
The study is in the new issue of Pediatrics 102(3), Sept, 1998, pg 569 ff.
Here's the conclusion:  "The early introduction of solid foods to an infant's
diet does not alter growth or body composition during the first year of life
and results in a displacement of energy intake from formula.  Infants
consuming commercially prepared foods have a decreased caloric intake from
protein and fat; however, despite this defference, there is no effect on
growth or body composition."
In the discussion section of the article, they cite the DARLING study on
breastfed infants fed solids early (16-23 wks) versus late (>23 wks).
However, NOWHERE in the article do I find that ANY of the infants in the study
were breastfed.

To my mind, this study is flawed because they studied a group of infants fed
ABNORMALLY (i.e. formula), then added solids at various ages.  To really get
an accurate study, one would need to compare these groups of artificially-fed
infants to groups of breastfed infants with early versus late solid food
introduction.

Linda L. Shaw MD FAAP
Altoona PA USA