From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:03:50 -0700
>>My approach when asked about Babywise or Ezzo is to ask if the parents
know of
Dr. James Dobson.  They usually reply very positive, "Oh, yes, he is with
Focus on the Family."  Then, I ask them if they know what Dr. Dobson has to
say about the Ezzo method.<<

For the sake of accuracy, I need to correct the above statement.

The very first statement that Focus on the Family issued on the Ezzo
materials was the strongest. What it said was that FOF was concerned that,
if applied legalistically and inflexibly, the teachings *could result* in
child abuse. However, they never directly labeled the material as child
abuse.

Succeeding statements softened the original stance after the Ezzos
complained of being misunderstood, then strengthened it after the Ezzo's
former church issued a statement of concern, then moderated it again
slightly in past months due to the fact that FOF has received many
"testimonies" from families regarding the benefits GFI teachings brought to
their families.

FOF's most current statement, which I obtained last week, says that they
have heard both praise from GFI families (including FOF staffers) and
concerns from LCs, doctors and other professionals. They do not wish to
invalidate either, and in fact FOF really hates being put in the position of
being asked to choose sides. Their bottom line, however, was and continues
to be NO ENDORSEMENT, and that is the most accurate and fairest thing we can
share. That is, in fact, a lot to say, since FOF doesn't say that about too
many ministries.

I wish they'd take a stronger stance, but this is not a burning issue for
them, at least not now. IN the meantime, I would urge any and all
lactnetters and friends to write to FOF regarding your concerns and
observations. Although breastfeeding issues are important to us, if the
concern expressed is perceived as a breastfeeding issue only, then the
battle will be lost. Breastfeeding is only the beginning--- there are
further issues of lack of sensitivity to child development issues, too much
focus on spanking and not enough on underlying problems, inappropriate
expectations, infant and child depression manifested through behaviors that
are being perceived as "normal", and unhealthy/potentially harmful teachings
on sexuality.  We need to speak more about these continuing issues as well
as the breastfeeding.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC