From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:49:31 -0400
Our local newspaper had an article about the switched babies in Virginia,
and what local hospitals are doing re: security procedures. I wrote a letter
to the editor today. Here's what I sent:

Dear Dayton Daily News Editor,

An obvious way to prevent switched babies in maternity units is to NOT
separate them - have mothers and babies to stay together 24 hours a day. The
vast majority of medical or other procedures can be conducted with baby and
mother together. Research shows that mothers do not sleep any better when
their babies are in the central nursery than when their babies are with
them. Breastfeeding gets off to a better start when there is no separation.
Research on bonding confirms that all mothers and babies benefit from close
and continuous contact with each other. Hospitals that have implemented
UNICEF's Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, including Franciscan Mt. Airy in
Cincinnati, have found 24-hour rooming-in to be a cost-effective and win-win
program for parents and staff.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
6540 Cedarview Court
Dayton, OH 45459-1214