From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:29:53 EDT
Marsha, Cindy, Karen, and Catherine,
Thank you for your replies.  The mother in question who ate Pringles that
contained Olean, has (for over 4 days now) had severe diarrhea,  has stopped
breastfeeding after eating Olean, and has no intention of "endangering her
baby by brestfeeding."  The information from the manufacturers that
Olean/Olestra does not leave the intestines or enter the blood or milk, does
not impress the mother or her family in the least.  She does not believe the
manufacturer.  She tells me she has searched the internet and found
information of health problems and even - brain damage  - because of Olean.
I did a lactnet search and did not turn up anything, but perhaps did not go
back far enough.  I will encourage the mother to report her s/sx to the FDA.
(thank you Marsha)
What does anyone know about Olean and breastmilk?  I've talked to Proctor &
Gamble and Frito Lay today who both deny that any Olean goes into the
bloodstream, and therefore is not in the milk and no harm to the baby.  They
are mailing me their studies.
Thanks again.
Jane Bradshaw

 Olean has been discussed here a number of times. The mother who experienced
 the side effects of this product in the US needs to report it to the FDA
(Food
 and Drug Administration) at their Medwatch location:

 www.fda.gov/medwatch/

 Any such product on the market whether it is food or a medical device that
 causes problems to consumers should be reported to the FDA. This includes
food
 additives like Olean, infant formula, breast pumps, medications, etc. The FDA
 has received over 5000 complaints about Olean and will hopefull examine
 pulling this product from the market. It will not happen unless consumers
 speak up. The same with the other products mentioned above!

 Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
 Weston, MA