HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Clement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:11:40 -0500
Hi all,

Someone has asked off list whether JCA is a "publication or a web site
format".  I thought I'd post my response here to clarify:

>The short answer is that JCA will be a publication, available over the
>internet.  The long answer is:
>
>The idea is to create a standard journal on a shoestring budget (actually
>no budget at all).  Thus, the journal will be _distributed_ via the web
>(versus produced _for_ the web), avoiding both printing and distribution
>costs.  There will be no subscription rate.  Rather, readers may print
>individual papers or entire issues, as they wish, and may distribute them
>as they wish.  Notification of newly available issues will be via email
>using MindIt's free service, which is linked from the "Available issues"
>page.
>
>To the best of our ability, in all other respects JCA will be a standard
>journal. Each paper will undergo critical peer review, and revision if
>necessary, prior to publication.  Journal formatting will be standard
>throughout, regardless of the platform you use during download, because it
>will be produced as Adobe Acrobat files.  Back issues will be maintained
>on the server for as long as we can keep them there within server space
>limitations, and I will maintain hardcopies and disk copies as well for
>archival purposes.  Readers are encouraged to print each issue in its
>entirety, bind it however they like, and put it on the shelf for later
>reference.  I will be encouraging libraries to do the same.
>
>Depending on interest, ultimately we may go to a more standard
>print-and-mail journal, introducing costs and therefore requiring
>subscriptions but making JCA more readily available to those without
>internet access (we recognize the trade off here, but we'll cross that
>bridge when we come to it).  A print journal is several years down the
>line, however.  Our intent now is to create a high-quality journal with
>high-quality contributions, and to make it as widely available as we can.

Again, feel free to ask additional questions on or off list.

Regards,

Chris Clement

Christopher Ohm Clement, Ph.D.
Co-editor, Journal of Caribbean Archaeology
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/jca/
ISSN applied for