HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:49:03 -0500
Yipes! The idea of someone claiming a state to have the best Blacks in all
the south sounds like something out of a nineteenth-century novel! Tell you
what I'll do. I'll see if I can dig up the article in my local repository. I
will send along the citation and maybe bring a copy to the SHA.
Her Plantation Household book did emphasize gender solidarity over race and
power inequities. I suppose that does open the door to some of the stuff she
seems to be saying now. I got the impression she was actively interested in
the ideas and goals of the "movement." My inside contact told me that they
like to play up the Southern hospitality thing as an echo of those lost
gracious days. Why am I reminded of Tom Lehrer's "I Wanna to Go Back to
Dixie?" I knew we set our clocks back in the fall but this is ridiculous!