HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:53:28 -0600
Richard Kimmel asked the question:
>  As to how our work relates to
>the public, I want to know why we all have to have public education as
>our primary mission.  I don't have much time for it and I don't think
>I am very good at it (I could certainly never compete with Babits and
>Wilde-Ramsing

the simple answer would be, because the public PAYS for most of the
archaeology we do.

And in the current political climate, they just might stop paying for it if
they are not convinced that they are getting value for their money.

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission